The Leadership Council of Aging Organizations (LCAO) is a coalition of national nonprofit organizations concerned with the well-being of America’s older population and committed to representing their interests in the policy-making arena.
Vision: A society made more whole and vital through the genuine inclusion and celebration of our diverse aging populations.
Mission: Recognizing that the strength of the coalition lies in the diversity of its membership, the mission of the LCAO is to foster communication and resource sharing among its member organizations, to serve as a source of information about issues affecting older persons, to initiate joint advocacy strategies as appropriate, and to provide leadership and vision as America meets the challenges and opportunities presented by its aging society.
Theory of Change: LCAO inspires leadership and advocacy across generations by achieving impactful policy change and community resilience rooted in the inclusion and well-being of our diverse aging populations.
All members of the Leadership Council of Aging Organizations are dedicated to:
- advocating for strengthening both the public and private sector response to meeting the needs of America’s older population;
- promoting thoughtful and rational policy changes where such changes are necessary, recognizing that state and local level activities are important both to the generation and implementation of public policy;
- seeking dialogue with responsible leaders of both the public and private sector;
- working with all of society’s institutions—political, social, economic, religious— to ensure that they welcome and support full participation by America’s older population;
- working to ensure that no older person is a victim of discrimination based on age, gender, race, or ethnic origin; and
- recognizing the diversity of America’s older population, which includes the most vulnerable and frail elderly in need of a range of services, as well as older persons who are contributing to their communities through work-related pursuits and volunteer service.